Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hurricane IKE

Ok so I have been diligently waiting for my family to send me copies of the pictures we took at the big shin dig... but ..... they must be busy too. The only thing I can tell you right now was that it was a lot of fun. They were taking pictures of the families and so Reed and I decided that we are a family. I don't know what I will do if one of us really does get married. I like being Reed's family. Anyway. I heard they turned out good. So, when Emma gets a chance she will send them to us and i can post some......

So the next item of business. It is September 11th! It is so weird to think that it has been 7 years since I stood in the mechanics shack on the tarmack at the Spokane international airport and watched the 2nd plane hit the trade centers. And all that we have gone through since then. It really didn't hit me as hard the past years, cause I was in Washington and the minority population there was small compared to here. Now that I am in Houston and the whites are a minority, it has made me think more. There are so many issues with minorities here, and it makes you wonder who really is the minority? I have never been mad at a person because of their race, but here, there are many people that are. IT is kind of sad. But today, Americans should remember those that died that day. We should also remember, that not everyone from that nationality was in on the attacks...

Ok, off my box!!!!!

Guess what I get to experience for the first time this week? Like Tomorrow... You guessed it. Hurricane IKE is going to hit the coast between Galveston and Freeport. I am about 70 miles, give or take from Galveston. It is 38 miles south of Houston and I am about 30 miles north of Houston... So, tomorrow around noon it is going to hit land and start to rain and rain and rain ok, wait it won't hit till tomorrow night, but at noon it will start to show us what it is up to.. I have always watched and read about this, but never been involved in it. Makes you think a little sometimes. But all will be well. 90 mile an hour winds is not something that I have ever experienced!! Should be fun.. Oh and Kyrk said that I can't fly a kite in it!! Dang it... :)

So, as soon as I get back on line, I will let you all know how it goes... I am hoping to take some pictures.!!!

3 comments:

Sant Family said...

I am sure that you COULD fly a kite in it and that it would be a VERY shocking experience.

Be safe!

Marie said...

Hey! I was thinking about you and wondering how your weather is - how much of this storm you'll get. I hope it's more interesting for you than damaging. Stay safe!

elizabeth said...

Niki,
I hope you are okay. I keep thinking of all those people in Galveston - and other places - hoping that they are okay. I think I told you my Grandpa lived in Galveston and we would visit every summer. His house was not too far from the seawall - close to the BIG Moody church.
I hope you are well. It was an amazingly powerful storm - we felt it up here this morning. Nothing too major, but my parents in KY said 5 counties around them were declared disaster areas - lots of uprooted trees.
I hope to hear from you soon.
Love,
Elizabeth